Monday, December 30, 2013

Running Diary, day0028: MR25 Cross-country Ultra Marathon race report

I completed my 2nd ultra: 6 laps of MacRitchie trail (63km) in 10:42. Though it was my longest workout both in distance and length, I finished it in much easier effort than previous one(5 laps). It might be because of greater mileage accumulated.
I strictly stuck on my plan: flat and down slope jogging, up slope walking. First 3 laps I was a little bit faster: 1:40 each. Later 3 laps I ran with Safra club mates and each in 2:00. Because of no running up slope, my calf was freshy even after run, my core, glutes and upper body was also relaxed. Left knee had been uneasy during lap2 but soon relieved. The only problem was my quads, maybe they were my weak point, maybe I hopped to much down slope. After 3 laps, slight soreness came. After 6, it tasted like DOMS. It would be my next focus for ultra.
I ate a lot, hydrated a lot. Only lost 1kg weight. That was within my expectation: my body had tried to generate over 200Cal per hour by busying digesting the food I prepare. The vegan food worked. The only problem was I got gastric disorder (went to toilet after each lap) after lap2. I reckoned it because I comsumed yam and papaya: too much dietary fiber generating too much gas. Next time I should avoid these. Sushi and green bean paste& soup were best, bread had been demonstrated last time. They were all candidate for the next ultra.
I prepared 3 pair of shoes for the race. But finally I only wear VFF Seeya with Injinji toe socks throughout the race. I used to train trail with VFF Treksport and felt pain each time after 2 laps. This time I had plan to wear Seeya when feet were fresh and change to Treksport after 6 hours. To my surprise, Seeya had much better feeling than Thicker-soled Treksport. I did not feel any pain even after 4laps. So I stuck on Seeya and not even change socks. The near 11 stress test shown thinest soled Seeya the more qualified trail running shoes against traditional wisdom. I thought it might be due to more Seeya's more flexible soles made it more suitable for barefoot runner: one could recruit more foot muscles during each landing on the uneven terrain, as I had trained during barefoot running. The more thicker and harder soled Treksport weakened the ability of my foot, just like another traditional shoes.

The FB link to the photos by a lot of supporters and me:

No comments:

Post a Comment