Saturday, December 14, 2013

Running Diary, day0013

14th Dec 2013, 30C, sunny.
I started at 9:30am for 2 loops MacRitchie nature trail run. It was preparing for the MR25 12hrs ultra marathon two weeks later. I joined last edition and finished 5 loops. This time I planned to do one more loop and try not to impact the next day training (last time I rested 2 days for DOMS).
It was a hot day and I wish the race day would be like last year. I walked up slope and ran down slope, each loop took me 90min, average pace is 8:30/km. The heart rate, dreadful 150. I should run no faster than today. Let's see how is the DOMD the following days. And more important, try suitable fueling pattern for future ultras.
The only thing I learnt today is trail running is totally different to road running. It is more demanding core/ upper body muscles, and perception/ reaction than road running. During road running, you can leave it in auto pilot mode, engaging fewer muscles and mind, and even in sleep walking mode can do. But in trail, you should alwsys stay focused, watching out for the incoming terrain, changing tempo, stetching out legs to make smooth transition from rocks to rocks. And more important, core drived technique is more critical to help achieve the goal. Becsuse one can not have solid landing on the uneven, rocky, and slippery terrain. One can only make sloppy and swift contact and quickly move forward. Otherwise one will break his knee or ankle. Core driven keep one moving with gravity (especially down slope), and upper body swing helps to keep balance. The more complicated terrain, the more demanding the whole body and mind synchronization. It was fun. It was just like dancing. The whole body is awaking. I regain my core driven running technique today!

No comments:

Post a Comment