Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Running Diary 0031: Mileage New Year Run 2014

1 Jan 2014, 23C, overcast.
Today's mission was pacing my wife in the Mileage New Year Run (10km) to achieve 1:10 target, her PB. It was organized by Mileage Runner, FOC but limited to 250 runners, the venue was Punggol park to the Waterway.

The flag off time was 7:30am but we arrived with fellow Elias CSC member before 6:30 to collect our bibs. After 7:00am the organizer allocated the uncollected bibs to the runners in the waiting list (on site). Fair enough, there was always runner register but no show up due to urgent issues. 
During my chit chat with CSC member and fellow runners from my company, my wife was doing her warm-ups. It was her first public race, and the longest, she should be a little bit anxious. I was confident about the target timing I set for her because I knew well her fitness, we ran every Sunday together. The only thing is hold the pace when start. 
So we started slow and watched everybody bursting away. It was lonely journey for the first 2 miles, we hold the pace at 7:14/km for the 1st mile and slowly kept up to 7:04/km for the 2nd. I hovered around my wife and took some photos for her. My wife got used to running alone at Sunday CSC run, where everybody ran fast except her, reserving energy and kept steady pace (others were fast at first, then slow, then wore out..) whenever I was aside or not. She only lacked the experience at the starting in a real race. So no one could affect her then. In the 3rd mile (pace 7:00/km), we began to pick up some tail runners,who had lost stamina and took walk breaks. The 4th mile (sped up to 6:44/km) u-turn back,we ha picked 10 more runners. In the 5th mile my wife kicked up to 6:15/km pace, and last mile to 5:39/km. In  final 1km I asked her if she could speed up more, she said no. So we kept the speed to the end. Later she told me she could still ran at this speed after cross finish line, just could not run faster. Finally we made 1:06, much better than expected.

It was a good start, either for a new year, or for inspiring my wife. And I was sure yesterday to be the worst of DOMS. I will soon get back to my shape and pick up mileage.
(Courtesy of Mileage Runner)

No comments:

Post a Comment