Saturday, January 11, 2014

Running Diary 0041: Exploring Twilgiht Ultra 2014 Course

11 Jan 2013, 26C, sunny.
Today's long run is preparing for Twilight Ultra. Distance planned 33km, including 23km out and back to event course via PCN, and 10km event course run. I did not choose the route I used to run (through Changi Coast Road) and took the shorter cut. Later I will slowly increase laps on event course, so no need to waste mileage on commuting. 

I set off at 6am, the PCN Pasir Ris and Tampines part was in good condition and my barefeet felt great. I choose to follow MRT and go overhead bridge crossing PIE to Simei instead of via Bedok Reservoir to save 1~2km. When PCN turn to Bedok Camp after Sunei Bedok, it was rather rough and asphalt almost gone, only left sharp gravel biting my poor feet. It became even worse when I was back because the sun had heated to road for several hours.
I had no problem find the race route and started from the east side (2.5km turn point), then went west and used my GPS to locate the 7.5km mark, turned back and finished 1 round. I was satisfied with the course: not too easy, and a little bit challenging. I was right to jogging at 8min/km pace. It added no stress to my muscles, only tested my feet, my soles. My forefeet ached on the way back an force me jogged even slower. I could not walk because the the feet contact time was longer in walking and ached more. 100km barefoot running is not so easy to me, at least now.
Today's distance: 33.3km, time 4:48. Had a walnut bum and a slice of baguette with one cup of milo. During the run I consumed ~1500ml water. Went to toilet once so no dehydration issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment