Sunday, January 12, 2014

Running Diary 0042

12 Jan 2014, 24C, overcast.
9km run with Elias CC running club, in 1:10, normal pace. This week accumulated 105km mileage, training time over 13.5hrs. More importantly, it was 2nd week after a ultra. My body performed well and could stand the loading, indicating the ultra recovery time was less than 2 weeks, and my training strategy worked well: low intensity had very low loading on body and a faster recovery. I think in such way 2 training run in a day, like Sekiya did, is feasible for me. I should arrange in the next month when mileage demanding over 500km.
Afternoon I had some spare time, so I read one more chapter of Eat & Run. In it Jurek told the story of Western State 100 2006, when he paced another athlete, Brian Morrison to pursue to title. Morrison collapse a few hundreds yards before finish line. Jurek blamed it for Mortison's brain shut down with Dr Noakes's central governor model. I was Jurek's big fan and respected him. But I agree with others, it was fatigue, no mater how close to the finish, he just suffered fatigue because he  was pushed too much. Even his pacer, Jurek had bonked a few miles before finish line, though he only started pacing in mile 62, where Morrison seemed to be over heated. Jurek pushed him in 7:30~8:00 miler. Unfortunately, the guy was not the type of athlete like Scott Jurek  who was more race type, always did better than his training projected. Jurek was a great racer, but a good pacer. Had I been him, I would pace my partner more comformtablely and let his body decide. Not every time our body lies, we must be very careful if we are going to ignore its warning signal. In my opinion, most signal I would accept as a "stop sign", except that I had experienced and knew it harmless, for example, soles pain due to friction in a barefoot long run( my experience was: below 45km and no faster than 6:30/km pace, it was safe, blister free). We had a lesson learnt from Morrison's case, never let others judge for you, rely on own experience and listen to your body.
P.s. I think I were the race type runner like Jurek. I performs better in race and group run, and tend to run the pace I never trained.

No comments:

Post a Comment