Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Running Diary 0052: Athletic Health Screen

22 Jan 2014, 24C, cloudy.
Today I had a appointment at Sports Medicine Centre, Changi General Hopital, for Athletic Health Screen. I signed up for the Athlete Pre-participation Deluxe Package which costed S$685, because my welfare in my current company includs a biennial health screen claim up to S$800. It is recommend runner should do ECG annually to make sure no heart risks ahead. I'd been running for 4 years, though it was first time I do heart check up.
The package is mainly heart check (Rest ECG, 2D ECHO Ultrasound, and a treadmill Stress Test (ECG and blood pressure)), plus physical check, biochemical check (blood and urine) and an X-ray. I arrived at 8:45am, the nurse gave weight, height and blood pressure measurement then proceed to blood and urine sampling. It was very quick and before 10am I had finished another two test: ECG and X-ray. The nurse told me to have some milo and wait doctor to see me. CGH has improved a lot since my last visit 6 years ago. Now the pantry has not only drinking water machine, but aslo a coffee machine and some muffins. I got my self a cup of hot milo, it was nice, I need it for stress test later.
Not before I finished my milo the doctor had called me. He asked me the sport I want to take and the purpose I do the screen. I told him I'd been running for 4 years and now I wonder if I could proceed to next level. He examined my body, from tip to toe. Said my physically OK. He also mentioned my tight hamstrings and loose ankle, but it does not matter to run. The tight hamstring remind me my weakness, next time I should focus on it. The loose ankle I think it was owing to barefoot running, because no wear shors, no support, the ankle is more agile than shod runners. I benefit from it especially in trail running, I never had twisted ankle thanks to it. The doctor also found my shoulder and elbow much more agile and knew I'v trained in swimming. He checked my rest ECG report and told me my condition is normal. He asked me to finish the rest of two: Stress test and 2D Echo, and see me after Chinese New Year.
The tteadmill was tough one. The nurse put ECG wires and pressure band on me, set treadmill to highest slope the began: 3min per speed session. The fist 3 I was asked to walk, the upper slope made my calves feel bad. My HR is 115 for 1st, 130 for 2nd, and 150 for 3rd. At 4th session I began to run, HR reach 170. At 5th, I began to raise my knee (Oh my, I rrakized I never raised knee in my daily run, what a shame!) But it wad too late, my lack of ttainning made me stop after finishing 5th session at max heart rate, I read from machine, 184, it waa a little bit higher than calculated one. But never mind I will still stick in caculated HRmax for MAF training. Last one was 2D ECHO. It looked no diffetent to other Ultrasound. It tool less than 4 hrs for all sesdions.
My next appointment is 12 Feb, my little daughter's birthday, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment