Sunday, January 5, 2014

Running Diary 0035: Pacing the beginner

5 Jan 2014, 23C, rainy.
Morning ran 9km with Elias CC club members. Weather was cool and comfortable. I picked up leisure pace as usual. This time more people join us slow jogging. My wife paced with another member Karen who was the first time cover the whole 9km route. I paced my friend's wife Charlene who had already completed two 10km race. But I found her still not get into running. She breathed and struded hard. I told her to shorten stride to save energy, and do purposely exhale to breathe in more oxygen. She said her legs not tired only had problem in breathing. I told her to do belly breath but she said she had tried but failed during her time in choir. It seemed she will take time to get over it. Beside this, she seemed enjoying the run and did not turn to 5km route as usual. So I paced her further and later she coverd more than 8km. She looked great and I think her fear of the distance was somehow lowered after run. I knew it from pacing my wife. Proper pacing could bring more confidence to the beginner. Because they knew nothing about how much energy they have and how deploy in a run. The most common phenomenon is drain stamina quickly and have to stop to breath, leaving a distance-phobic feeling. Charlene is a beginner, no matter how many 10km race she completed, untill she could finish stronger and confident. Me neither, before 2011 SCMS, I was not a marathoner though I have complete two and got PB in 4:27, because I failed yo finish strong, I hit the wall, I suffered and did not enjoy the run. And the slow 5hrs+ SCMS 2011 changed me. I knew the energy allocation by slow training run. I fear distance no more. So will my wife, Charlene and other people, by running slow.
Today's averge pace is 9min/km, yesterday was 8min/km. I felt great. The pace could not cover 100km is meaningless to me. This is what I need, for health and ultra endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment