Sunday, March 16, 2014

NE Passion Run 2014: Volunteer Job Done

I was assigned to take care starting area. The day before during reccee I found same reccessed drainage cover persisted after last NE Run 2 years ago. The one made one runner fell before me. So I worked with another volunteer Mr Tee covered it with cupboards and fixed with self-fasten stripes.
The event day we assembled at 5am. After having breakfast we began deployment. I was allocated 10 runner volunteers from our CC, and another 9 students volunteers from NTU. I asked Mr Tee lead 4 volunteers to set up barriers along the route. And led the rest to set up starting pen. The organizer didn't provide sufficient barriers. So I used the tapes to seal the starting area with limited barriers. And set up a gate at the end. The enclosed area was about 150m long so should be no problem to accommodate 600 runners (the number the organizer Provided me for each wave). I deployed 4 marshalls to guide the route, 2 taking care of starting line, 2 stay at park entrance to guide the runners, the rest taking care of starting pen.  There were 3 waves today. 1st wave men's open starting at 7am. I open the pen for them at 6:30, and asked others to wait outside. At 7:15, I closed the pen, reset starting point and let 2nd wave (women open and men veteran) in. And asked the men open late comer to follow. They started at 7:30. And last, the 4k fun runner. They start after 8am. 

All went smoothly and only one runner without bib, brutally get off my hands when I asked him his bib. Shame on him. We volunteers were not policeman, we'll not use force on him as long as him did not trouble other runner. Our duty is only to keep runners safe. 

It was a nice day. The haze gone and shower came only after race. So blessed.

Some suggestion to the organizer. Enclose start point with barriers according to the wave size. Set signboards and volunteers guide runners to starting points. Depoly cyclist sweaping after last runners, and give sign to the marshalls to reccess.

No comments:

Post a Comment