Friday, June 6, 2014

3 PBs, From Hell to Heaven, Hurray for 1st Sub-4

Just finished my 8th marathon, Sundown Marathon, 1st time in sub4. I need to write something. I decided train for it since end of Feb. Accumulated more than 1300km in the following 3 months. I'v tried to clock as much mileage with doubles in Mar. I'v through myself into tracks for 800s, 1600s intervals twice a week since then. I cut my mileage, dedicated to race pace familariztion one month before race. It was the first time I carried out a plan consistantly. The reward was awesome, I broke 4 hours barrier lied before me for 4 years, against all odds, the humid weather, the poor race organization. 

My timing was 3:59:45, placed 87th in men's category and 101th in all. Most participant did not run well because the race day was exremely humid. And big part of up slope between 32km to 36km death gate. I ran a even pace (5:38/km, read from my watch) through out the race, with a slow warm up (6:20/km) and fast finish (5:16/km). Everything seemed to be well arranged, and I just let go my legs to complete the run. The only surprise was the unbearable gastric disorder. I had to drink a lot cold drink to compensate fluid loss and remove heat. But all blood stream went to circulation to fuel leg muscles and bring down body temperature. They just stuck in my stomach and generated a lot of gas made me pain and panic to toilet. So the theme in my 2nd half of marathon was going to toilet in the finishline. I'v asked another sub4 finisher and he shared the same feeling. The finishline toileting was such a beatiful thing, just like the reward of water after finishing Spartathlon.

In the past 3 months, in preparing for marathon, I joined other 2 races. The 1st was TWILIGHT Ultra, marked the end of base mileage accumlation (500 more per month). The 2nd was JP Morgan 3.5miles, marked the end of speed training and begining of race pace familarization. These two I also clocked PBs. 

60km PB, 7:58 for TWILIGHT Ultra. I ran a enjoyable 7:00~7:30/km pace, stop every 15km for refeul. I felt like heaven with endless energy that could last the run forever. 

5km PB, 20:08, from JP Morgan run(the 3.5miles result was 22:34). It was stressful, exausting, burning, 20min 4:00/km pace made me feel like in hell: I could hardly hold me in one piece at the end of race. Minutes like years.

The marathon, ~5:40/km pace, neither feel enjoyable, nor unbeatable, just in the middle. So that is the magic of running, the magic of marathoning, magic of ultramarathon. What taste do I like? I like the joy in an ultra, and satisfaction after a marathon. Shorter distance like 5k bring me more bitterness than sweetness.

PS. There is no post run muscle soreness (DOMS) after all these races. The huge mileage running pattern build up much faster recovery ability in my body. I should be able to train more, improve more.

No comments:

Post a Comment