Sunday, December 16, 2012

3 Races In A Month: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

I registered 3 races in October: Swim For Hope on 6th, New Balance REAL Run on 21th and Newton 30km Challenge on 28th Oct. They really exhausted me out and I ended up with only 5 runs, totally 77km that month. These were precious experience for me: I had break through in swimming by finishing a 10km swimming marathon, set 2 PB in running, and learned that more races spoiled the training.

Swim For Hope was a annual event raising funds for Children's Cancer Foundation. The organizer, SAFRA Tampines intended to break the record raise S$40,000 in the event day. 1 lap (50m) $1, it should be 40,000 laps from 9:00am to 4:00pm. It finally recorded 21,898 laps and I contributed 204 laps, or 10.2km, S$204 to the CCF. I was proud not only did a good deed, but also break my personal record in swimming. I finally conquered swimming marathon (10km) in a time 4:53:53, after practicing TI for 10 months.




New Balance REAL Run was a annual running event famous for its beach part. This year the 21km route included 2km trail 17.5km road and 1.5km sand beach. The trail part is actually loose sands and I had no problem running on it as warming up. And the road part was best for barefoot and was where I accelerated to overtake. When I reached the beach part, I had already reach my top speed ~4:30/km. I tried to run along the tide and avoid to weaving among the 10km walker. I finally record my PB in 21km, 1:50:56 (rank92, MO4152). The sand sacked my feet and I end up with 2weeks calf strain (not recovered even in Newton Run).



It my 2nd time to join Newton Run. Last time was 2 years ago and I recorded 2:52:51. Most people joined Newton Run for their Singapore marathon rehearsal. I joined just to use up my U-sports 2012 credit. With the stiff calf, I managed to finished in 2:48:22, rank 260/1508. I ran a little bit slower than my target timing (2:45) but still made a PB. The ranking was not so good because the participant were most serious runner. I could get much better ranking after casual runners diluting the pool. (Workout detail)

No comments:

Post a Comment