Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Father's Day Treat: SAFRA National Runway Cycling & Skating 2012

Had I know SAFRA National Runway Cycling & Skating (17 Jun 2012), I should have not joined OCBC Cycle Singapore. It was so cheap, only 1/4 of OCBC price. I registered as a rehearsal of my first triathlon that thought to take place in July (but turned out to be in late Sept.)

The airport looks near my residence but I cycled 10km to get there by rounding it up from northeast to southwest. I reached Paya Lebar Air Base at 8am and took 15min to get through security check.


There was a static display of F15 Eagle fighter before the entrance of runway. Many people took photo with it.



Only when I reached the runway, I knew it not a place for PB making. The runway had been designed to meet aircraft taking off and landing requirement. There was always head wind in one direction. This time it was from southwest. When I reached to start line the race had already flagged off. It was a non-competitive race and no ranking after race, so all you had to do was experiencing it and record your timing at your best.

I need to do 3 loops to complete the 45km endurance cycling, the 30km skaters started on the left most lane but soon merged with cyclists. I though a little bit unsafe for the mixed up. I did not see any crash between cyclists and skaters, but saw quite a few cyclist crashes. There were plenty of medic support along the route.  So all was under control.

Rather different to OCBC one, this race saw a lot of special bikes like fixies, unicycles,
tricycles, even some home made ones.
All were banned from OCBC. It more like a carnival. This year's theme was "Father and Son", the best scene was father taking his son touring.
I missed the sideway to finish gantry after loop 3 and took additional 5km ride. And the system record me as 4 loops. Actually I did 50km. 2hrs for the designed 45km, very slow one, thanks for the head wind. Despite the score, the workout made so easy, I did not felt any muscle soreness, it was the most non-competitive event I took place. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment